- Category: How to use Wordpress
- Published: 26 April 2015
- Hits: 911
In the previous post “Add and publish a new post using Add New function on WordPress Admin Area,” you learned about Categories and Tags. In this post, we will examine in more detail about Categories and Tags.
Categories are to separate posts created in WordPress. Tag is a special type of category helps you to distinguish posts quickly. To you can understand, we will refer to an example.
1. Example about The Difference between Categories and Tags
I create a new post, How to Install WordPress. The main content of this post consists of 3 parts:
- Part 1: Download and install the software XAMPP
- Part 2: Create a new database in MySQL
- Part 3: Install WordPress.
Continue creating a new category WordPress and choosing this category for this post. After you’ve done, the main content of this post is about WordPress. And there are three main issues in the thread WordPress. The main topics are about XAMPP software, MySQL Database, and Install WordPress.
If users want to read the items related to WordPress, they will click on the WordPress on the menu bar. But if users want to learn more about how to use the XAMPP software, where they will find posts about that subject, if you do not create a new category “XAMPP” to hold those articles. You will have to create a lot of categories to contain the main topics in the post.
So, instead of having to create a multitude of categories, you will only need to create a category is WordPress and display it on the menu bar. Next, you create tags are XAMPP software, MySQL Databases, Install WordPress. These Tags don't appear on the menu, but they display below WordPress post content. When users click on the tag XAMPP Software, they will read all the posts related to XAMPP Software. These are the posts attached the XAMPP Software tag.
2. Manage and Add New Categories
2.1. Add New Categories
You need to find the main categories to develop your website. You create categories on your site and display them on the menu bar. Therefore, the number of categories (Categories) is usually not much. You create them before you create the post.
Suppose I’ll create a new category WordPress and two subcategories are WordPress Plugin and WordPress Theme in the category WordPress”. I’ll take the following steps:
2.1.a. Add New a Category
- 1. Choose Posts » enter Categories
- 2. In the Name field, enter the name of the category is WordPress
- 3. In the Slug field, you enter the name of the slug. If you do not fill in this area, the slug will have default name is wordpress.
- 4. Parent: Select “None” value because the category “WordPress” does not belong any categories.
- 5. Description: Enter a description of the category WordPress
- 6. Click Add New Category to finish creating the category WordPress.
2.1.b. Add New Subcategories
Continue, you create a new subcategory named as WordPress Plugin and WordPress Theme
- 1. Similarly to create the category WordPress. However, in Parent field, instead of selecting value is None, you need to choose WordPress. Because WordPres Plugin and WordPress Theme is subcategories and they belong to the category WordPress”.
After you’ve finished creating three categories, you continue to create 3 menus which have the same name as the name of the categories.
When you focus mouse to the menu WordPress, two submenus WordPress Plugin and WordPress Theme of the menu WordPress are displayed. You click on a menu to see all posts in category which has the same name with that menu. You click on the menu “WordPress Plugin” to see all posts that belong to the subcategory “WordPress Plugin”.
2.2. Manage /edit categories which you’ve created on WordPress
The image below displays a screen to manage categories that have been set up on your website.
- 1. Column “Name”: Displays the name of categories
- 2. Column “Description”: Displays the description of categories.
- 3. Colum “Slug”: displays the slug of categories
- 4. Column “Count”: displays the number of posts in a category.
- 5. To delete many categories at the same time, you need to tick categories that you want to delete.
- 6. Click on the Bulk Action list box, choose Delete.
- 7. Enter Apply to delete the selected categories.
When you focus mouse on a category, the screen will display four items:
- Edit: Click Edit to edit that category
- Quick Edit: edit name and slug of that category » Click Update to save changes.
- Delete: Delete that category
- View: View the content of that category on your website.
You enter exactly a word or a phrase » Click on Search Categories button, you will see categories which have name contains that word (or that phrase).
3. Manage and Add New Tags
Similarly to add and manage categories, you need to take the following steps to create tags:
- 1. Select Posts » Tags
- 2. Enter the name of tag
- 3. Enter slug of tag
- 4. Enter description about tag
- 5. Select Add New Tag to finish creating a new tag (For example, I created the tag XAMPP Software)
I do not usually create Tags using this way. I add new Tags while I’m adding or editing a post.