- Category: How to use Wordpress
- Published: 18 May 2014
- Hits: 2039
You know how to publish posts, pages, use and manage media files. However, your theme is very simple. You need to make it beautiful right now by using the Appearance tool in the Wordpress administrator page.
In the administrator page, you choose Appearance tool:
I. Themes: manage, add new, change, customize Wordpress theme
II. Customize: customize Wordpress theme you are using
III. Widgets: functions were supplied by Wordpress
IV. Menus: create and manage menus
V. Header: change options in the header of website.
VI. Editor: edit source code of Wordpress
In this article, I'll talk about the Part I. Themes. The main theme is a theme that you've activated and you're using on your website.
1. Add New: adding new theme
2. Search installed themes: searching installed themes
3. Active: notice that the theme is the main theme.
3.1- Customize: customizing the main theme
4. Installed themes manager
4.1- Activate: activating this theme to the main theme on your website
4.2- Live Preview: preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the main theme.
1. Add new: installing a new theme
- When you choose Add New function, you'll see:
a. Search: searching themes on the administrator page. You know the name of the theme. You type the name of the theme, enter Search
b. Feature Filter
You can use filters to search themes by mark checkboxes, too > Enter Find Themes
Colors - filter themes that have main color:
Columns - filter themes by quantity column
- One Column
- Two Column
Layout - filter the theme by layouts
- Fixed Layout - Content size, header size and sidebars size,... are fixed and they couldn't be changed.
- Fluid Layout - content size, header size and sidebars size,... can increase or decrease that depend on the screen resolution
- Responsive Layout - Diagram showing the layout to suit each device (laptop, smart phone, tablet,...).
You can filter some other topics as Features, Subject.
- You need a theme that has main color is black, it has 3 columns and responsive layout> You mark checkboxes Black, Three Columns, Responsive Layout
- Choose Find Themes to start filter themes.
Then, you will be moved to Search Results tab that displays results.
- At Search Results tab, in Search textbox displays: black, three-columns,responsive-layout that correspond checked items Black, Three Columns,Responsive Layout.
- There are 3 buttons (Install, Preview, Details) that's below each theme that you've searched above.
- Install Now: set up this theme in the theme library.
- Preview: preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the main theme.
- Details: detail information about this theme.
- You go to the web that introduce beautiful and elegant themes. You like Ebuy theme (Wordpress themes free used in this example), you download Ebuy.zip file that contains the theme package installer to your computer.
- You choose an Upload tab to upload Ebuy.zip from your computer to the website.
- Click Choose File, choose Ebuy.zip package that you want to install.
- Click Open or double click to Ebuy.zip package.
- Enter Install Now button to start installing Ebuy theme.
You've successfully installed. You have 3 options:
- Live Preview: preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the main theme.
- Activate: choose Ebuy theme to the main theme for your website.
- Return to the themes page: go to the theme manager.
c. Featured: display featured themes
d. Newest: display newest themes
e. Recently Updated: display recently updated themes.
- You can install Wordpress theme free by click Install Now. Choose Preview to preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the main theme, choose Details to view detail information about the theme.
4. Installed themes manager
- Click Appearance > Themes or Return to Themes page (after you've successfully installed the theme), you will go to the theme manager that manage all installed themes in your theme library.
- The Ebuy theme appeared in the theme manager. In the picture above, you see Active: Twenty Thirteen, it means your main theme is Twenty Thirteen theme. Choose Customize to customize the Twenty Thirteen theme.
- If you want to set Ebuy theme to the main theme, you choose Activate button in Ebuy sample below. Choose Theme Details to view details about the Ebuy theme.
Next, we're going to read Customize function.
- How to register and use Gravatar on WordPress
- How to create and manage categories and tags in WordPress
- How to display empty categories in WordPress
- Article 9.2: Guide to customize your main theme using Customize function
- Article 9.1 - Change your theme using Appearance Tool
- Article 8: How to create and manage page using Page tool
- Article 7: Manage media file using media tool in Wordpress
- Article 6.2.2: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.2.1: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.1: Manage, edit/delete articles with All Posts function in Posts tool
- Article 5: Using Dashboard tool in the administrator page
- Article 4: Using 17 tools in the administrator page