- Category: How to use Wordpress
- Published: 18 May 2014
- Hits: 2136
You know how to publish posts, pages, use and manage media files. However, your theme is very simple. You need to make it beautiful right now by using the Appearance tool in the Wordpress administrator page.
In the WordPress admin page, you choose Appearance tool:
I. Themes: manage, add new, change, customize Wordpress theme
II. Customize: Customize Wordpress theme you are using
III. Widgets: Features supplied by WordPress
IV. Menus: create and manage menus
V. Header: change options in the header of the website.
VI. Editor: edit source code of Wordpress
In this article, I'll talk about the Part I. Themes. The primary theme is a theme that you've activated, and you're using on your website.
1. Add New: adding new theme
2. Search installed themes: Seeking installed themes
3. Active: Notice that the theme is the primary theme.
3.1- Customize: customizing the primary theme
4. Installed themes manager
4.1- Activate: activating this theme to the major theme on your website
4.2- Live Preview: preview how will your site look like if you activate this theme to the major theme.
1. Add new: installing a new theme
- When you choose Add New function, you'll see:
a. Search: searching themes on the administrator page. You know the name of the theme. You type the name of the theme, enter Search
b. Feature Filter
You can use filters to search themes by tick checkboxes, too > Enter Find Themes
Colors - filter themes that have primary color:
Columns - filter themes by quantity column
- One Column
- Two Column
Layout - filter the theme by layouts
- Fixed Layout - Content size, header size, and sidebars size are fixed, and they couldn't be changed.
- Fluid Layout - content size, header size and sidebars size can increase or decrease that depend on the screen resolution
- Responsive Layout - Diagram showing the layout to suit each device (laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc).
You can filter some other topics as Features, Subject.
- You need a theme that has primary color is black; it has three columns and responsive layout » You tick checkboxes Black, Three Columns, Responsive Layout
- Choose Find Themes to start filter themes.
Then, you move to the Search Results tab that displays results.
- At Search Results tab, in Search textbox displays: black, three-columns, responsive-layout that correspond checked items Black, Three Columns, Responsive Layout.
- There are three buttons (Install, Preview, Details) that are below each theme that you've searched above.
- Install Now: set up this theme in the theme library.
- Preview: preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the major theme.
- Details: detail information about this theme.
- You go to the web that introduces beautiful and elegant themes. You like Ebuy theme, one of free WordPress theme using in this example.
- You download Ebuy.zip file that contains the theme package installer to your computer.
- You choose an Upload tab to upload Ebuy.zip from your computer to the website.
- Click Choose File, choose Ebuy.zip package that you want to install.
- Click Open or double click to Ebuy.zip package.
- Enter Install Now button to start installing the Ebuy theme.
You've successfully installed. You have three options:
- Live Preview: preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the major theme.
- Activate: set the Ebuy theme as the primary theme for your site.
- Return to the themes page: go to the theme manager.
c. Featured: display featured themes
d. Newest: display latest themes
e. Recently Updated: display recently updated themes.
- You can install Wordpress theme free by click Install Now. Choose Preview to preview how will your website look like if you activate this theme to the primary theme, choose Details to view the detail information about the theme.
4. Installed Themes Manager
- Click Appearance » Themes or Return to Themes page (after you've successfully installed the theme), you will go to the theme manager that manage all installed themes in your theme library.
- The Ebuy theme appeared in the theme manager. In the picture above, you see Active: Twenty Thirteen, it means your main theme is Twenty Thirteen theme. Choose Customize to customize the Twenty Thirteen theme.
- If you want to set Ebuy theme to the major theme, you choose Activate button in Ebuy sample below. Choose Theme Details to view details about the Ebuy theme.
Next, we're going to read Customize function.