- Category: How to use Wordpress
- Published: 10 May 2014
- Hits: 2207
Pages and posts have many same functions. However, pages are different from posts. So, how are they different?
Now, we will view an example:
You have a hotel and you want to introduce about your hotel in your website.
1. You can publish a post like the image above
- When you published the post that introduce your hotel, at the homepage, it will display hotel information in the list of posts (in default):
- In published posts list on the homepage, the post includes a hotel's image, title and short introduce about the hotel. When you click Read more, you can view details of the post.
- On the homepage, it will display posts list of new posts to older posts (in default). The post is in row 2 in the list because it was published from 2013. The newest post was created from April 2014. So, it's on top of the list.
- But, if you add many posts to the list in 2014, the post will go away from the top list. And when someone views your website, first, they want to know that how many rooms are in your hotel, they're good or not... But it's difficult to search hotel information and the information is not at the top, it could be in 100th position or 200th position in the list. It should be appearing in distinct ares and visitors can be searched it easily.
- Of course, you can fix the problem by: When you create new or edit an article, you check to Stick this post to the front page item > Click Publish/ Update button.
- With this option, although you add more and more posts, the post that introduces your hotel will be in the top list.
- Oh, this way is interminable. You can go the other way and it's more simple. You create a new menu item as About us. Then, you focus the item to the post that introduce your hotel. Viewers click on the link and they can read all about your hotel information.
- In this case, when your important information need give visitors directly. You can't give these important information, in a long list on the homepage and try to keep it on top. You need to create a new page to introduce your hotel.
2. Creating a new page that introduces your hotel
- In the administrator, you click Pages tool. It contains 2 functions:
1. All Pages function: Manage all pages on your website (like way that manage posts in Article 6.1)
2. Add New: create a new page
- When you click the Add New function, you'll see:
- You need to notice of 6 areas (numbered from 1 to 6):
1. Enter title here: adding your page title
2. Add media: adding media file
3. Drafting the page
4. Publish: publishing post option
6. Featured Image: set featured image in the page
- Functions 1 - 4 and function 6, they like functions that are in Add New Post item and you can read in Article 6.1
- Function 5. The Page Attributes function is different. In editors of Add New Post function, you need to choose Categories and Tags that contain that post. But when you draft a page, you need to notice of page attribute.
- You want to create Tourism page. It contains 4 pages as Hawai Tourism, Viet Nam tourism, Euro tourism, Asea tourism (call subpage) and their structure:
At Page Attributes item:
You create a new page as Tourism. Because it makes mention of a general topic, you choose (no parent) at Parent item.
Continue, you create a new subpage as Hawai Tourism. Because it's a small topic that is contained in Tourism topic (you choose Tourism at Parent item.
Similarly, you create Viet Nam tourism, Euro tourism, Asea tourism. So, you have subpages with structure above.
Note: Order item is used for arranging the displaying order of the subpages in the menu above. Oder value is more low, the subpage is more near top menu.
Example: When you create new subpages with Order values: Hawai Tourism: Oder=1 ,Viet Nam Tourism: Order=2, Euro Tourism: Order=3, Asea Tourism: Order=4, and the page lists will be displayed like the picture above.
You change Order value of Hawai Tourism to 6. Its position will be changed to undermost position in the menu: Viet Name Tourism, Euro Tourism, Asea Tourism, Hawai Tourism.
- How to register and use Gravatar on WordPress
- How to create and manage categories and tags in WordPress
- How to display empty categories in WordPress
- Article 9.2: Guide to customize your main theme using Customize function
- Article 9.1 - Change your theme using Appearance Tool
- Article 8: How to create and manage page using Page tool
- Article 7: Manage media file using media tool in Wordpress
- Article 6.2.2: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.2.1: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.1: Manage, edit/delete articles with All Posts function in Posts tool
- Article 5: Using Dashboard tool in the administrator page
- Article 4: Using 17 tools in the administrator page