- Category: How to use Wordpress
- Published: 06 May 2014
- Hits: 1859
In Article 6.2.1, I introduced detail about insert media files, when you used Add Media function in Editor of Posts tool. These added media files were in Media Library. Now, we are going to figure out how to manage media files that uploaded from your computer to your website.
- In Wordpress administrator page, you choose Media tool:
- Media tool includes 2 functions:
I. Library: save media files that uploaded from computer to the website.
II. Add New: insert new media files by uploading files from computer.
When you choose Media > Library, it will display Media Library. In Media Library, you need to notice 10 areas (numbered from 1 to 10):
1. All (28): you have 28 media files in your library at this time.
2. Images (17): have 17 image files.
3. Audio (2): have 2 audio files.
4. Video (5): have 5 video files
5. Unattached (15): you have 15 unattached files (files were unattached in any post or files used in deleted post.
Example about media files have an unattached status:
- "Image 1" image has just uploaded from your computer > This image will be saved to media library with unattached status.
- "Image 2" image used to "Beautiful Images" post, but "Beautiful Images" post was deleted. So, "Image 2" image's status is unattached, too.
- Click All link to view all media files in your library.
- Click Images to view all image files.
- Click Audio to view all audio files.
- Click Video to view all video files.
- Click Unattached to view all files that were not inserted to any post or files used in deleted post.
- Enter file name or a phrase of a file name that you need to search, click Search Media to start searching media file by name.
- Choose Show All Dates > Click Filter, it will display all files in default.
- Exam. If you click Show All Dates, enter April 2014 (in Show All Dates listbox), it will display all media files that insert into library on April 2014.
- Note. In Search Media text box, you enter a file name as "Example 1", and you choose April 2014 in Show All Dates, you can click Search Media button or Filter button, you have a same result. You have all files that added on April 2014 and the file names contain a phrase "Example 1".
If media list is so long, Wordpress will paginate your list automatically.
9. Display area
- Area display detail information about media files in library.
10. Bulk Action
- When you click All, Image, Video, Audio, doesn't choose Unattached, display only Delete Permanently action (delete many files at the same time) in theBulk Action listbox.
- You check files that you want to delete > Choose Delete Permanently > Apply.
- This action will delete these files at the same time.
- When you choose Unattached, it will display Attach to a post in the Bulk Actions listbox. You tick off to media files that you need to attach, choose Attach to a post, click Apply, you will see a post list:
You choose a post > Enter Select. So, you've attached successfully.
Note. You've attached files to the post, but when you view the post, you don't see any image that you've attached. Where are they?
Exam. When you attach a file. If you attach files as "media_1" that attached to "Example Article 2". Suppose permalink to "Example Article 2" is http://..../example-article-2, "media_1" image is in permalink http://.../example-article-2/media_1
11. Edit/Delete Permanently/View/Attach
When you focus to a media file in list, display functions as Edit, Delete Permanently, View, Attach (with unattached files).
- Edit: editing the media file.
- Delete Permanently: deleting the media file.
- View: view the media file on your website.
- Attach: attach media files to a post by: Click Attach > mark up the post that you need to attach files > Enter Select.
II. Add New:Upload new media files from your computer
- Click Media > Choose Add New, you'll see a window as in the image above.
- Drag/drop files that you need to upload from your computer to the rectangular area.
- Or you click Select Files > Choose uploaded files > Enter Open.
So, you upload files successfully. And these files are in Media > Library.
- How to register and use Gravatar on WordPress
- How to create and manage categories and tags in WordPress
- How to display empty categories in WordPress
- Article 9.2: Guide to customize your main theme using Customize function
- Article 9.1 - Change your theme using Appearance Tool
- Article 8: How to create and manage page using Page tool
- Article 7: Manage media file using media tool in Wordpress
- Article 6.2.2: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.2.1: Detail about publishing post by Add New function of Posts tools
- Article 6.1: Manage, edit/delete articles with All Posts function in Posts tool
- Article 5: Using Dashboard tool in the administrator page
- Article 4: Using 17 tools in the administrator page